Manchester United have withdrawn from chasing Ajax defender, Matthijs de Ligt, following suggestions by Old Trafford hierarchy that the 19-year-old is already set to join Barcelona,Sky Sports reports.
Reports had earlier circulated that United could move for the £65m-rated Netherlands international this summer.
Speaking to Sky sports on Sunday about his next destination, De Ligt said:
”Where do I see myself? Well, obviously the Premier League is a big competition, Spain also, but you have other competitions, it’s not (just) about those two.
”I still don’t know anything about where my future is, so I see how it goes. First, we have to play two games (in the Nations League) and then after that, we’ll see what happens next.
However,Barcelona president, Josep Bartomeu had on Saturday said the Spanish club were working on departures from the Nou Camp as well as incoming transfers.
”Every year new players come in. So far we have confirmed De Jong’s signing and now we will work on bringing in others and moving players on, as is normal every summer.
”Now is not the moment to do anything. There are always new signings, but now is not the moment to talk about it,” Bartomeu said.
It’s possible De Ligt will chose to pay with Ajax and the Netherlands team-mate, Frenkie de Jong, who has already agreed an initial £65m deal with Barcelona.